The Committee for Public Counsel Services (CPCS) is the state agency in Massachusetts responsible for providing legal services to indigent persons in criminal and civil matters in which the law requires the appointment of counsel for any person who cannot afford to retain counsel. The agency provides representation in criminal, delinquency, youth offender, child welfare, mental health, sexually dangerous person and sex offender registry cases, as well as appeals and post-conviction cases related to those matters.
CPCS is an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Payment Analyst supports the Finance Department with responsibilities including timely review, payment and reconciliations of all agency obligations. The Senior Payment Analyst follows Commonwealth and CPCS fiscal policies and procedures to support the agency, vendors and private attorneys. Senior Payment Analyst is expected to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization, external relationships and oversight agencies in this role.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION MISSION STATEMENT
CPCS is committed to protecting the fundamental constitutional and human rights of its clients by providing zealous advocacy, community-oriented defense, and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. In striving always to achieve those goals, CPCS embraces diversity and inclusion as core values and is steadfast in our commitment to: (1) ensuring that CPCS staff members represent a broad range of human difference and experience; (2) providing a work climate that is respectful and that supports success; and (3) promoting the dignity and well-being of all staff members. CPCS's leadership is responsible for ensuring excellence, diversity, and inclusion. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance or similar field; five (5) years of experience in accounting; or an equivalent combination of relevant education, training, and experience. Expertise with Office 2007+ with a strong emphasis on Excel, Access and Outlook also is required.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES:
This person will possess personal and professional integrity, strong communication skills, and strong analytical and decision-making skills.
The individual must possess strong leadership and managerial skills, strong interpersonal skills, high energy level and a positive outlook.
This person must believe in strong customer service and always act with professionalism and responsiveness.
The individual who will succeed in this role can best be described as:
• motivated; you thrive in feeling accomplished without gloating or getting an ego;
• a stickler for accuracy; your attention to detail is critical for success and the success of the agency mission;
• a believer in customer service; you understand that even difficult conversations should end with a smile and/or pleasantries and that responsiveness is a key component of great customer service;
• consistent across many communication mediums; whether it be over the phone, text or email…you provide superior support for whomever needs it;
• a tech enthusiast; you recognize that technology can improve process and love to learn how technology can improve existing processes;
• a team player; not matter your peers’ education or experience, you treat them as your equal;
• patient; you welcome differences and you understand that sometimes you are limited in what you can improve upon or change but you continue to look for opportunities to improve existing processes;
• a believer; that our clients and staff are why we come to work every day and that nearly anything can be accomplished with dedication, patience and hard work;
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree preferred with preference in Business, Accounting, Finance or similar field
Five years of accounts payable experience.
Proficiency with the state accounting system (MMARS) including reconciling accounts and managing accounts payable or similar accounting systems.
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office including Access and Excel.
Ability to analyze and interpret financial information and scenarios.
Knowledge and understanding of state finance law as well as payment and procurement regulations.
Good communication skills.
Ability to work independently and in a group.
The Committee for Public Counsel Services (CPCS) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation as required by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and other applicable federal and state statutes and organizational policies. Applicants who have questions about equal employment opportunity or who need reasonable accommodations can contact the Director of Human Resources Management, Lisa Bacon, at firstname.lastname@example.org
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Process payments for all agency goods and services, including discounts.
• Process payments for over 3,000 attorneys and 2,000 expert vendors.
• Coordinate with vendor relations staff to share information on vendors and payments.
• Interact with other agency units to obtain required information in order to process transactions.
• Give input to accounts payable policies and procedures.
• Work closely with the Finance team to resolve purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation.
• Develop standard and custom queries using the Commonwealth Information Warehouse (CIW) for accurate payment analysis.
• Assist the Accounts Payable Manger and/or Finance Director with accounts payable activities as needed and conduct other duties as assigned.
• Support ongoing department initiatives which include moving paperless where possible, cross training/cross fertilization, standardized/routine reporting and performance management.
• Provide excellent customer service internally and externally.
• Mentor payment analysts.